February 22, 2005

My list of demands

I went to see a financial advisor today, and it was pretty interesting. I'll be calling him Mr Knows His Shit.

I think my favourite bit was when I'd explained my current expenses and my new income, and Mr KHS half-laughed as he said, "What are we going to do with all this money?" And I laughed too, because I don't know.

Even taking into account the previously mentioned Japan trip, spending $5-7k on a new computer (which is a shitload), and paying off bills and insurance and blah blah, there's still an awful lot of money coming my way.

"What do you want?" Mr KHS asked. And, dear reader, I don't know.

When he asked, I had to say I don't know what I want now. I don't know what I want in three to seven years. And I don't know what I want to do in thirty years when my super becomes available.

But since then, I've been thinking about it, and I have a list.

1. I want to be happy.
1a. I want to have someone to be happy with.
2. I want to not have to worry about money so much.

Done. My "don't want" list is much longer. A car. A house. Jewellery. Stock. Holidays (as a rule). I don't want to get married. I don't want a house full of expensive or matching stuff.

I guess I could add a bunch of other stuff to my wanted list (a new VCR, work clothes, to give more away) but really, those are relatively minor, in the (grand) scheme of (expensive) things.

Isn't that kind of weird? That I haven't thought ahead? Even when I had a full-time, permanent job? No planning. Man, that sucks. Must plan.

I wonder if this means I'm finally going to be getting my shit together. In a similar vein, I wonder if this exact same thing happened to Alix, about five years ago. And I wonder how it's working out for her.

Maybe I should talk myself into wanting a house. I really do love what Dave and Fiona are doing with theirs.

2 comments:

Chriplodocus said...

Alix got married.

linbot said...

I know...