February 17, 2005

Life decision... pending

Short summary: I'm being headhunted for twice as much money (in my hand). The job will be cool (tech + responsibility + opportunity). Current job is teh suk (--opportunity + --satisfaction + --responsibility).

But the new job is a six month contract, so that makes it a bit of a risk. But I'm going to try to get leave without pay from my current job, which would be a great safety net. I'm talking to someone about that tomorrow.

Either way, I think I'm going to give two weeks' notice on Monday. Eep!

Because I have this plan. I can work at the new job for six months, while saving money furiously. Then at the end of six months, if they're going to offer me another contract, I take a month off and go to Japan. (If ted was in fact serious about letting me visit.) If they're not, then I either return to my current job if I get LWOP, or else live off my Japan money until I get another job. I also really want to finish my MCAD during the six months. And maybe even start an MCSD (solutions developer).

But I come out of the six month contract with heaps more hands-on experience with SharePoint. This would be extra neat, as SharePoint experience is, allegedly, very much worth having. (It's the reason I'm being offered the current contract, for instance.)

Also, for those gentle readers who have been around for a while, it's funny to think that the Platitudinal Presenter may end up being correct about my earning power. Not that I'm where she said I would be yet, but I'm a hell of a lot closer than I was on Monday. Damn, this is going very fast.

PS. Twice as much money!

No comments: