April 01, 2008

some kind of medal

I'm sure I deserve to have something nice happen to me, given that I just spent about four hours fiddling with bills, statements, tax certificates and other dreadfully important pieces of paper. Not just because it's a pain in the ass to file things, but because it's like a litany of things that require action and OMG my life is falling apart. Also worrying about money is never fun. Stats are fun!

  • Unopened envelopes as a percentage of total paperwork heap: 80.
  • Oldest unopened envelope found: March 2006.
  • Total number of unopened letters from Wonky-wah: three for me and one more addressed to Anne.
  • Number of companies who sent the you-missed-a-payment, you-missed-two-payments, we're-cancelling-your-service, your-service-has-been-cancelled letter sequences: four.
  • Number of companies who sent followup OMFG-you-owe-us-money letters: two. Insurance companies don't let you get into debt with them, apparently.
  • Total number of letters that I didn't open: NONE. Go team me, fight and do miracle. I also rang the tax office! And a buncha other people who needed to be called! Woot! (Reread the wiki page about Social Anxiety if you don't get why this is a big deal.)
  • Number of years of tax returns outstanding: eight. At least.
  • Number of years the tax dept is going to charge me $550 for not putting in a tax return: two. (I intend to make poor starving puppy faces at them until they cave and waive this. I can dream.)
  • Number of thousand dollars I owe in HECS (yes, STILL): 18. And a half.

    Sigh. So this is all depressing and shit. Sigh. It represents (in a stark, map-is-the-territory sort of way) the past year and bit of my life.

    And Xopher isn't well and I've started coughing today (damn you, Centrelink germs) so we're not going visit Dave and Fiona and Simon and Jimbo and Connor tonight, so *sadface*. No stitch and bitch for me. No presenting the scarf I made for Dave to him. Or the hat for Fiona. Or the gloves for Jimbo and Emma-sensei. No holding the baby while everyone else has dinner. *sob*.

    My life is deeply tragical today. I might go watch some emo bands making dreadfully earnest and homoerotic declarations to cheer me up. Fauxmos! \o/
  • 4 comments:

    Dave said...

    Hooray! More stuffs to comment on! Welcome back to blogosophication!

    Commiserations on the large stacks of mail, but good on you for actually getting stuck in and dealing with it (especially dealing with the Tax Office, which is ore than I would ever be willing to do). Let us know if we can do anything helpful vis a vis the backlog.

    Connorb sends hugs, or at least drool.

    Dave said...

    BTW, you want I should out the fact that you're blogging again at Lexifab, for those of us technonoobs who can't work an RSS feed?

    linbot said...

    Technonoobs should read my whining about tax too, so go for it. I've been trying to catch up on people's blogs but there are so many! People are all eloquent and shit and totally deserving of comments... which luckily you leave! This may be related to how many comments you get back too.

    Oh, and speaking of the blagosphere, you and Ms Fionor could set up Flickr or some other photo service. Then you could publish photos of the tacky little tacker!

    Dave said...

    I has a Photobucket. I'm just too lazy to have stuffed it with Connor photos yet.